For the past few weeks articles have been popping up about problems with filing for Voter ID’s in my State (Wisconsin). Today the news headline stated, “7 more DMV sites give wrong voter ID info”. While this might give most of you reading this only a momentary pause, the implications of what is being done is quite staggering. http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/10/03/dmv-workers-6-more-stations-give-wrong-voter-id-info/91461338/
Advertising details of the new Voter ID laws were to make sure enough clarity was offered to make the process as smooth as possible for voters. This was ordered by the courts. On the contrary, this new law has been challenging and confusing for the voters. People are going to register and are being told there is no guarantee that they will get an ID, in the mail by election day. Now mind you, these same DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicle) workers have been trained to inform voters they will get their ID’s within 6 days. This is nothing but disenfranchisement, which is is the revocation of the right of suffrage (the right to vote) of a person or group of people, or through practices, prevention of a person exercising the right to vote. And it is reminiscent of the mess that was perpetrated on blacks during the time prior to the Voting Rights Act of 1965. http://wisconsingazette.com/2016/10/02/wisconsin-gop-leaders-break-their-own-law-to-suppress-black-voters
Why is this significant? Voter ID laws are in place for 33 of 50 states. For 17 of those states, it will be for the first time. If there is incorrect information being given, can you see where this is headed?
What is your part in this?
- I encourage everyone reading this to make sure you are registered. Do not leave it to chance. Contact your local municipal government to make sure your i’s are dotted and your t’s are crossed. Have your proper ID ready.
- Tell everyone you know, to make sure they are registered. Call and check. It will only take a moment.
- Inform your friends and family what is going on; how disenfranchisement is occurring.
- If you are in need of an ID and have been told, you may not get it in time. DO NOT BELIEVE IT. File anyway and report them. Contact your local officials and let them know what you have been told. They are in violation of court ordered mandates.
- If you know someone struggling to get their ID in order, help them. Give them a ride, answer their questions, or just point them in the right direction.
I do not want to read in the headlines, after the election, that masses of people were unable to vote because…..
It is time to be proactive, not reactive on all of our parts. And then on top of all of this, the Russians and possibly other foreign countries are trying to attack our data bases for Voter Registration. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/fbi-detects-voter-registration-system-breaches-20-states-article-1.2813467.
Never have I been more aware of the threat of disenfranchisement as I have been in this election. But that is a fight that we personally cannot handle. I am trusting the officials to stay on it and do what is necessary from preventing records from being deleted. So let’s focus on the battle we can take on. And that is our own personal responsibility.
Last, show up at the poll on election day. And if you really want to be proactive, vote early or vote absentee. Do not leave anything to chance.
This is one serious election, not just on the Presidential level. But after watching the past 8 years, we see what an ineffective House and Senate can do to stall the country.
Vote people, and vote responsibly.